New Medicare Cards Are Coming

New Medicare Cards Are Coming

By Loretta Hartzell, Hartzell & Associates, Inc.

Medicare will mail new Medicare cards between April 2018 and April 2019.  Your new card will have a new Medicare Number that’s unique to you, instead of your Social Security Number.  This will help to protect your identity.

Things to know about your new Medicare card

  • You don’t need to take any action to get your new Medicare card.
  • The new card won’t change your Medicare coverage or benefits.
  • Medicare will never ask you to give us personal or private information to get your new Medicare Number and card.
  • There’s no charge for your new card.

Watch out for scams

Scam artists may try to get your current Medicare Number and other personal information by contacting you about your new Medicare card.  They often claim to be from Medicare and use various scams to get your Medicare Number including:

  • Asking you to confirm your Medicare or Social Security Number so they can send you a new card.
  • Telling you there’s a charge for your new card and they need to verify your personal information.
  • Threatening to cancel your health benefits if you don’t share your Medicare Number or other personal information. 

If someone calls you and ask for your Medicare Number or other personal information, hang up and call Medicare at 1-800-633-4227.

How can I replace my Medicare card?

If your Medicare card is lost, stolen or damaged, you can ask Social Security for a new


  • Your Medicare card will arrive in the mail in about 30 days.
  • Social Security will mail your card to the address they have on file for you.
  • If you need proof that you have Medicare sooner than 30 days, you can request a letter from Social Security.  The letter will arrive in the mail in about 10 days.
  • If you need proof immediately for your doctor or for a prescription, go to in the search box enter local ssa office to find the office nearest to you.

How do I change my name or address?

Medicare uses the name and address you have on file with Social Security.  To change your name and /or address, visit  in the search box enter my Social Security account.